"LIVE! LIVE! LIVE! Life's a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death"
attributed to Mame Dennis

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankgiving Prep

My kitchen is a flurry of activity today. So much to get ready for tomorrow's feast!

The faint of heart, be warned. Photos of my ingredients follow, including the star of the meal, a suckling pig. (Nothing graphic, just food looking like what it is.)

There are chestnuts and pear chunks roasting in the oven, with spiced walnuts on deck.


Aperitifs and white wines for dinner are in the wine cooler, chilling. The serving china has been washed, the soup bowls are drying in the strainer, and the rest of the dishes will be done in turn.

Walnut bread rising.


















This morning we went to Autumn's Harvest Farm to pick up the pig.


The pig froze a little in the cooler last night, so I am letting it thaw a bit before rubbing it down with olive oil, salt and pepper. Then it will rest in the fridge until tomorrow morning.

Later today I will make the base for the chestnut soup (everything but the cream, which I will add when I warm it prior to serving.) The gingerbread cobbler needs to be made this afternoon as well.

What am I doing writing a post on the blog? Back to the kitchen with me!

No comments: