"LIVE! LIVE! LIVE! Life's a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death"
attributed to Mame Dennis

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Challenge: A week with no shopping

I have a pantry, fridge and freezer full of food, yet always come up with something I need to run to town to get. I've read about this challenge on other blogs and always thought it made a lot of sense.
Limitations always bring out creativity. It's especially relevant to us right now because (A) we want to save as much money as possible for our upcoming trip, (B) we don't want to leave food to rot or get stale while we are away for 2+ months, and (C) my temp job finished last week, so I could use a project.

As luck would have it, my compatriots on the eGullet message board decided to repeat this challenge this very week, so I will have some company and support on the journey. I know I waste food, and this week I will attempt to be more mindful about it. 

Sunday
Brunch: Sportsman's Club Fundraiser
Dinner: Beef Back Ribs Two Ways

Monday
Breakfast: Out and about
Lunch: Leftover ribs, romaine heart salad with dill-mustard vinaigrette from recesses of the fridge

For dinner tonight, we had a white bean, kale and chorizo soup.
The chorizo is from an excellent local farm (Autumn's Harvest), and has been in my freezer since the farmer's market in September/October. I sauteed this with some garlic, then added some shredded kale (some was used this weekend for decoration at a Harvest Dinner I worked at)
and two cans of cannellini beans from my pantry. No stock necessary, just filled up with some water and simmered for half an hour to glorious results. I love this sort of recipes, simple but so delicious. I shaved parmesean over the top to serve. So glad there are leftovers. I bet it will be even better tomorrow.

1 comment:

Beachwalk said...

Funny this would be the weeks meal plan. We actually forgot to go to the store last week so we are doing the same thing. We ate out on night two because we forgot to take food out of the freezer. Fortunately we still have grillable weather so our plan has included grilled taryaki citrus chicken and tonight brats.